Use a Xiamen travel bus card - "etong card" and save money now!
Are you using the Xiamen travel bus card called "etong" (see picture above) in your travels within Xiamen? If not, you're loosing a lot of those "bucks" and travel convenience! We suggest that you go get it now.
Here's why the Xiamen "etong" card could help you save money and time:
- No need to bring along heavy and loose coins
- Discounts of around 20% in your bus rides - (ex. for a normal air-conditioned bus travel within the city limits that costs 2.00 RMB, your one-way travel would cost you only around 1.6 RMB, a nice ROI(return on investment) in your travel budget : )
- The "etong" card would be used in Xiamen's taxi and ferry rides (this is already in the planning phase).
- The "etong" would also be used at POS(Point of Sales) in some stores in the future, too.
- It is light and pocket-sized.
How and Where do you Buy the Xiamen Travel Bus Card "etong"?
You could buy the "etong" from the following:
- Post office - please refer to the picture of the e-tong card on top of this page as the e-tong logo is usually hung on the windows of the post offices.
The Post office (China Post) sells the "etong's" at around 130 RMB (30 RMB is included as a deposit within the total).
- Xiamen Commercial Bank - you need to open an account in the bank before they issue a bank card which also acts as your "etong" - please ask the nearest commercial bank for details, I'm sure they have an English-speaking representative in there. Always look for the e-tong logos, they are also, usually seen near the teller windows.
What if my Xiamen Travel Bus e-tong card runs out of money?
"Charge it!" - you can deposit additional money in your e-tong card by going to any Xiamen Post Office or any Xiamen Commercial Bank branch. Look for e-tong card-signs in the bank (refer to picture at the top of this page).
Here are the steps on how to "charge" your e-tong's for a continuous, fun, Xiamen travel:
- Bring your e-tong card or your Xiamen Commercial Bank ATM card (if you opened an account with the bank).
- Bring along any copy of your ID or passport (just in case, but not really a neccessity).
- Go straight to the Xiamen Commercial Bank or Xiamen Post Office
- Show them the e-tong card (or your bank card if you have the ATM card version)
- Show them the money! : )
- Teller swipes your card on the reader
- Get a receipt - your receipt has the actual transaction history on it, including the time and place of transaction, so don't lose it, you may need it when something "surprises" you : )
You see, you don't even need to speak Chinese or any language in that quick transaction just "wield" the e-tongs, leave the bank and enjoy your cheap Xiamen travels.
Leave the Xiamen travel bus card page, and return to the Home page